FANTASPORTO 2018 REGULATIONS
1. The 38th edition of the OPORTO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL - FANTASPORTO 2017 will take place from February 20th till March 4th.
2. The Festival main purpose is screening and promoting films of quality, both aesthetically and thematically, and to seek new forms and methods of filmmaking.
3. The Festival has the following sections.
3.1. Competitive Sections for unreleased films in Portugal:
3.1.1. Official Section - Fantasy Feature Films – new feature with fantasy as main genre. Must have been produced between 2017 and 2018.
3.1.2. Official Section - Fantasy Short Films – new short films with fantasy as main genre. The shorts should have a maximum of 15 minutes in length, and must have been produced between 2017 and 2018.
3.1.3. Official Section - Directors Week (Manoel de Oliveira Award) – for feature films in all genres (other than fantasy) and produced between 2017 and 2018.
3.1.4. Official Section - Orient Express - for Asiatic feature films, produced between 2017 and 2018.
3.1.5. Official Section - Prémio de Cinema Português – Best Film- for unreleased Portuguese films (all lengths) produced between 2017 and 2018 (Best Portuguese Film Award). *
* It is considered as Portuguese a film which has these conditions: coming from a Portuguese producing company, to be a co-producion with Portugal or the director or the producer have Portuguese nationality.
3.2. Non - Competitive Sections:
3.2.1. Official Section Out of Competition - Panorama & Première - for feature films in all genres, still unreleased in Portugal.
3.2.2. Official Section – Fantas Classics – Tribute to classical masterpieces.
3.2.3. Retrospective Section
4. The Festival aims at:
4.1. Promoting in the city of Oporto a cultural forum with international impact.
4.2. Dignifying the Portuguese Cinema and encouraging the film production in Portugal.
4.3. Promoting Portugal in the world film industry.
5. FILMS - PROCEDURES FOR A FILM APPLICATION/ SELECTION
5.1. FOR SELECTION: A screener on line must be sent till the November 15th, 2017 together with the Entry Form that can be downloaded from the site www.fantasporto.com.
The screeners and the entry form (mandatory) must be sent to the email firstname.lastname@example.org. The screeners must be sent using a link with password, or through Vimeo.
5.2. The submission can also be sent by mail. The proposals, in DVD or BluRay support, must be sent together with the filled entry form to FANTASPORTO | RUA ANIBAL CUNHA, 84 | SALA 1.6 | 4050 – 048 PORTO | PORTUGAL. The deadline is November 15th.
5.2. THE FILLED ENTRY FORM MUST BE SENT WITH THE SUBMISSION IN ORDER TO CONFIRM YOUR APPLICATION AND DULLY SIGN.
The Entry Form is mandatory. Without this procedure, the acceptance of the submission will not be confirmed.
6. IF THE FILM IS SELECTED, THE PROPONENT MUST SEND TO THE FESTIVAL BY EMAIL THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS FOR ELECTRONIC SUBTITLING IN PORTUGUESE AND PROMOTION:
6.1. Dialogue list of the film in English and a new link/password with the last version of the film, open till the end of the festival
6.2. Three (3) or more press stills (with at least 1MB each)
6.3. The poster of the film in .jpeg
6.4. A press-book and other promotional materials
6.5. A trailer in MOV or MP4
6.6. EPK of the film for TV promotion in MOV or MP4 (optional)
6.7. Other Materials, to be used to promote the film in the Web
7. The physical screeners are not returned and will be destroyed after the festival.
8. All materials should be sent by e-mail to:
9. IF SELECTED/ MATERIALS FOR THE SCREENING:
9.1. The participating producers, directors and sales agents may present their films under the following conditions:
9.2. Accepted supports: open DCP, Blu-Ray, Pro Res (HQ) files in hard drive 25fps (1920x1080 resolution)
9.3. To have English subtitles or to be spoken in English.
9.4. THE SCREENERS OF THE FILMS SHOULD BE IN POSSESSION OF THE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE till January 25th 2018.
9.7. The Festival insurance coverage includes all risks including theft or fire, loss or disappearance; total or partial damage. The festival’s insurance company covers all films screened in the festival.
9.8. The screeners will only be returned to the sender under request only.
They will only be returned to the producer, director or sales agent. In this case we will pay the transport, otherwise the shipment costs will be paid by the new entity.
9.9. For selected films, please, send 3 printed posters.
10. The Organizers are responsible for the selection of the films submitted to the Competitive Sections but delegate in International Juries for the decision on the awards.
11. The Organizers nominate the International Juries that will decide on the Official Awards of each edition of the festival.
12. Awards to be granted by the Jury of the Official Competition for Fantasy Films
The International Jury of the Official Section for Fantasy Films will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Best Direction
c) Fantasporto Best Actor
d) Fantasporto Best Actress
e) Fantasporto Best Screenplay
f) Fantasporto Best Visual Effects
g) Fantasporto Special Award of the Jury. This award will be given to a film whose artistic and technical aspects present a high level of originality.
h) Fantasporto Best Fantasy Short Film Award
13. Jury of the Official Competition Directors Week
The International Jury of the Directors Week will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Director
c) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Actor
d) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Actress
e) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Screenplay
f) Fantasporto Directors Week Special Award. This award is for a film with a high level of originality.
14. Jury of the Official Competition Orient Express
The International Jury of the Orient Express official section will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Orient Express Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Orient Express Special Award of the Jury