1. The 42nd edition of the Oporto International Film Festival – Fantasporto 2022 will take place from April 1st till the 10th.
2. The Festival main purpose is screening and promoting films of quality, both aesthetically and thematically, and to seek new forms and methods of filmmaking.
3. The Festival has the following sections.
3.1. Competitive Sections for unreleased films in Portugal:
3.1.1. Official Section – Fantasy Feature Films – features – fantasy as main genre. Must have been produced between 2021 and 2022
3.1.2. Official Section – Fantasy Short Films – short films – only fantasy genre. The shorts should have a maximum of 15 minutes length and must have been produced between 2021 and 2022.
3.1.3. Official Section – Directors Week (Manoel de Oliveira Award) – for feature films in all genres, produced between 2021 and 2022.
3.1.4. Official Section – Orient Express – for Asian feature films, produced between 2021 and 2022.
3.1.5. Official Section – Prémio de Cinema Português – Best Portuguese Film Award – for world premieres of unreleased Portuguese films (all lengths) produced in 2021 and 2022.
3.2. Non – Competitive Sections:
3.2.1. Official Section Out of Competition – Panorama & Première – for recent feature films in all genres unreleased in Portugal.
3.2.2. FantasClassics and FantasCult Films – A Tribute to classical or more recent masterpieces, usually remastered.
3.2.3. Retrospective Section
4. The Festival aims at:
4.1. Promoting in the city of Oporto a cultural forum with international impact.
4.2. Dignifying the Portuguese Cinema and encouraging the film production in Portugal.
4.3. Promoting Portugal in the world film industry.
5. FILMS – PROCEDURES FOR A FILM APPLICATION/SELECTION
5.1. For Features and Fantasy Short Films: A screener online must be sent till the January 1st 2022, together with a signed entry form that can be found in the site www.fantasporto.com.
The screeners and the entry form are mandatory and must be sent to the email email@example.com.
The submission screeners should be sent with the link and the password and be open till March 15th.
5.2. Please remember that the filled ENTRY FORM MUST BE SENT FULLY SIGNED WITH THE SCREENER TO CONFIRM THE APPLICATION.
The signed entry form is mandatory. Without this procedure, the submission will not be accepted for the selection.
6. IF THE FILM IS SELECTED, IT IS NECESSARY TO SEND TO THE FESTIVAL EMAIL:
1 – FOR ELECTRONIC SUBTITLING
6.1. Dialogue list of the film in English.
6.2. Screener with link and password valid till April 10th, 2022
2 – FOR THE PROMOTION OF THE FILM
6.3. Five (5) or more stills of the film. One of them must be the poster of the film.
6.4. Press-book and other promotional materials to be mainly used in the web
6.5. A trailer in mp4 or similar format
6.6. EPK of the film in mp4 or similar format for TV promotion (optional)
7. The screeners, if physical, will be not returned and will be destroyed or erased after the festival.
8. All materials should be sent to the email:
9. IF SELECTED AND FOR EXHIBITION IN THE FESTIVAL:
The participating producers, directors and sales agents may present their films under the following conditions:
9.1. Accepted supports: DCP, that should be open or FILES. We accept films to DOWNLOAD that can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
9.2. To have English subtitles or to be spoken in English.
9.3. THE SCREENERS FOR EXHIBITION SHOULD BE IN POSSESSION OF THE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE till March 1st 2022.
9.4. The Festival insurance coverage includes all risks – including theft, fire, loss or disappearance; total or partial damage. The insurance company covers all films screened in the festival.
9.5. If requested, the screening supports will be returned to the production company or distributor. If there is a request by the producer/Sales Agent to send the film to another festival or film event, the cost runs on this new entity.
10. The Organizers are responsible for the selection of the films submitted to the Competitive Sections but the festival delegates in International Juries the decision on the awards.
11. The Organizers nominate International Juries that will decide on the Official Awards of each section of the festival.
12. Awards to be granted by the Jury of the Official Competition for Fantasy Films:
The International Jury of the Official Section for Fantasy Films will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Special Award of the Jury
This award will be given to a film whose artistic and technical aspects present a high level of originality.
c) Fantasporto Best Direction
d) Fantasporto Best Actor
e) Fantasporto Best Actress
f) Fantasporto Best Screenplay
g) Fantasporto Best Special Effects or Best Cinematography
h) Fantasporto Best Fantasy Short Film Award
13. Jury of the Official Competition Directors Week / Manoel de Oliveira Award
The International Jury of the Directors Week will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Directors Week Special Award. For a film with a high level of originality.
c) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Director
d) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Actor
e) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Actress
f) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Screenplay
14. Jury of the Official Competition Orient Express
The International Jury of the Orient Express official section will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Orient Express Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Orient Express Special Award of the Jury. For a film with a high level of originality.
15. Jury of the Portuguese Cinema
This jury will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Portuguese Cinema Award – Best Film
For a World Première Portuguese film produced in 2021 or 2002 (short or feature).
b) Fantasporto Best Portuguese Film School.
16. The awards of the festival have no monetary value and consist of trophies. Diplomas will be given, if asked, to the selected films of the Official Sections. The trophies are delivered in the presence of a representative of the film in the closing night of the festival. They can be sent later, if asked by the awardee, with costs running on his/her behalf.
17. The criteria of the final program per screening theatre belongs to the organizers.
18. The Organizing Committee is the only entity entitled to decide on all matters not provided in these regulations.
Rua Aníbal Cunha, 121
4050 – 048 Porto